Tuesday, May 29, 2012

REAL GLUTEN-FREE PIZZA

Do you love pizza but can only eat gluten-free?  Have you tried a gluten-free pizza?  Since pizza is one of my most favorite foods, I set out to try finding one that even resembles a real pizza.

First, I tried just buying a gluten-free pizza crust and making my own pizza with just cheese, sauce and pepperoni - not bad but could be better.

Second, I heard of a well known restaurant who advertises gluten-free pizza.  It was a disaster, as far as I was concerned.  It was dry, one of the pizza's came without any pepperoni and took forever to get it made right from the kitchen.  Sorry they said, because they were changing shifts.  Excuse me!

Third, I called a popular pizza establishment who advertised on TV gluten-free pizza.  I asked all the right questions - and you want to know the outcome of that?  Only the pizza crust was gluten-free but the other ingredients were not gluten-free.  Now tell me, how can you advertise that you have a gluten-free pizza when only the crust is gluten-free.  And how does this help the gluten-free person from becoming very, very sick with the toppings not being gluten-free.

My fourth try and an absolute winner was BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse at 9748 W. Northern Ave.  These are 10" pizzas and totally gluten-free (which means the dough and even all the ingredients toppings are gluten-free).  They also have gluten-free salads and dressing, as well as many other items.  Try their gluten-free chocolate chip cookie right from the oven.  Oh my, I was in 7th heaven.

Don't take the restaurants word for anything.  Get it in writing and check it two or three times to make sure you get the correct information.  Try to get their menu by going on line and printing out their menu with all the nutritional information so that you are absolutely sure they are for real and not giving you half truths.

BJ's you are the best!  All of you have a great day, Gloria.

No comments:

Post a Comment